Pages

Sunday, August 23, 2020

Insane Labz Wake The Dead Smelling Salts Review

Insane Labz Wake The Dead Smelling Salts for Powerlifting


We recently posted about Insane Labz rolling out a Smelling Salts product called Wake The Dead which is a smelling salt enhanced with a Spearmint scent. Smelling salts for those not familiar are those things you may have seen a paramedic use in a television show or movie when someone is passed out or unconscious and they break a stick and put it under their nose and it wakes them up. Yeah that's what smelling salts are. You may or may not know that they are sometimes used by athletes and power lifters ie a power lifter before doing a lift may smell them to get some added energy and alertness just prior to lifting a heavy weight.

Anyhow, Insane Labs rolled out a smelling salt product and we got our hands on it so we wanted to give it a try and let you know what we thought. The product sells for $24.95 on the Insane Labz website, however the brand has been having a lot of 40% OFF sales for it recently. As far as how many "servings" not sure how to quantify that, it seems this product would last you for a while. The instructions state to wet a cotton ball and put it in the bottle and then open the bottle and sniff. This stuff is powerful and potent without even needing to wet the cotton ball. When it dries out you simply wet it again and can continue to use it so we would guess this product is intended to last a few months if not longer.

As far as the effect, this was my first time using smelling salts so I had no idea what to expect. I gave it a sniff and it's a POWERFUL iodine smell. The iodine scent is so powerful you don't really get much of the spearmint scent, it's just a powerful and somewhat burning effect on your nostrils, throat and lungs.

Now I myself am not a power lifter so I don't really find myself needing a small spark of alertness and energy, I do more traditional resistance training workouts and I run, and taking a sniff of this is a short lasting effect so it's just not something that would provide me a ton of benefit so I'm probably not the ideal candidate for a product like this.

That said, I did notice that it did for a brief few seconds or minutes "woke me up" so to speak, however my nose burned, my throat felt a bit off for the rest of the day and I had a lingering chemical smell and feeling in my lungs for the next couple hours.

Overall I'd say unless your a power lifter you probably don't have much use for this product nor is it necessarily something you should be using regularly. Amonia is a toxic substance and using it can result in irritation to the nose, throat and lungs.

One thing I will say is there is some interest in smelling salts in the body building and power lifting spaces and this is a category of supplements that is lacking and that nobody has really come up with, so it is somewhat exciting to see a mainstream brand like Insane Labz roll out a product in this category.

Have you tried Insane Labz Wake The Dead Smelling Salts? If so what did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment