Pages

Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Review of Vade Nutrition Dissolvable Protein Scoops (Pouches) [From Shark Tank]

Vade Dissolvable Protein Scoops


I recently got a sample of Vade Nutrition's Dissolvable Protein Scoops. The sample came as a two pack containing one chocolate protein pillow and one vanilla protein pillow. Now I believe these were actually featured on Shark Tank and got a deal from Mark Cuban as well as another Shark or two. I personally haven't seen the episode yet, couldn't find a clip on Youtube.

So the concept behind these protein pouches is interesting, basically protein in a more convenient form. I suppose it shouldn't be surprising, RTD's or "ready to drink" drinks and pre-workouts and shots are becoming popular so why not have a more convenient protein.

Now I'll be honest, initially I was a skeptic. I questioned the need to have my protein bagged up for me. I'm supposed to be a fitness enthusiast, am I really so lazy it's too much work to scoop it myself? I'm also cheap, and anything prepacked or more convenient is naturally more expensive so I imagine these command a premium price over just buying a tub of protein. I also imagined the cellulose like packaging may not dissolve properly and leave a gross texture. 



So before I get in the details of the macros and how it dissolves and all that good stuff, let me just say that I was pleasantly surprised. I'm generally not a huge fan of drinking protein with water, I normally mix mine into a smoothie, or at least with coconut milk. I used water because I wanted to see how mixable it really was. 

Per the instructions I just dropped the pouch into about 8 ounces of water, instructions call for anywhere from 6-10oz of water, milk, or a smoothie. I shook it in my blender bottle for about 15 seconds and to my astonishment it was well mixed and frothy. The shell had also completely dissolved and was nowhere to be seen. 

Next the moment of truth, the taste test. I was actually very impressed with the taste. Typically I don't like the taste of protein, hence why I take mine in a smoothie. It actually tasted great, didn't taste like protein, the chocolate flavor was a delicate frothy chocolate taste, almost like an Ovaltine or something along those lines. 

How to Make Vade Nutrition Dissolvable Protein Pouch Shake

Would I Buy Vade Nutrition Dissolvable Protein Scoops?


So now the real test, would I actually buy these? Okay so confession, I hadn't even looked up the price prior to making this post. I just now as I'm writing this checked on Amazon and they are $42.99 for 30 servings. That actually isn't a terrible price considering most people probably spend $30 or so on their protein, some significantly more. It is however no doubt a bit more than typical protein. I normally buy Orgain Organic Plant Based Protein from Costco, and while I can't remember the exact price off the top of my head but I normally buy 2.7 pounds for about $30 so a bit cheaper.

So again, initially I thought this was kind of a gimmick. I actually like the concept. Here's the thing though, this for me at least, wouldn't be my main daily protein. Most days making a smoothie is just part of my morning routine and I don't really need a pouch and my other protein is cheaper.

I could however see myself buying a 30 pack of these and keeping a couple in my desk drawer at the office, maybe keeping a couple in my gym bag, backpack, or taking them on a hike or a camping trip. For that I think this product actually does serve a need and add a bit of convenience. 



Oops, forgot to cover the supplement facts and all that good stuff. Sorry for the blurry photo above, but per pouch we have 90 calories, 0g of fat, 10mg of cholesterol, 0 sugars, 20 grams of protein, 105mg of sodium, 138mg of potassium. It also has 4.4 grams of BCAAs, and no fillers.

While not something I would personally use everyday I could see myself buying this product and was impressed with the taste. Have you tried Vade Nutrition's Protein Scoops? If so what did you think? Drop a comment below and let me know. 





No comments:

Post a Comment